Wednesday, November 5, 2008

First Thoughts

Wow. I was expecting Processing to be a graphics library that could be used by Java programs. Instead it's an IDE with an in-built interpreter for the Processing language. 

I am guessing that in reality the core of Processing has been implemented as set of Java classes and that the 'interpreter' is actually a pre-processor that translates the Processing code into Java code.

If my guess is correct, the approach reminds me of JSP pages which are pre-processed into implementations of the HttpServlet Java class before being compiled and executed.

2 comments:

Mark Miller said...

Hi Neil,

Thought I'd check to see how you are getting on, I am doing chunk 52, so kind of following on from yours.

I have an idea of what my blog is about but just wanted to check that you are not doing anything too similar.

I am going to base my chapter on a fireworks explosion which will give me the ability to use slightly complex curves and some very basic physics as gravity will play a slight role (been done many times before but there you go).

Let me know,

all the best,

Mark

Neil said...

Hi Mark.

Apologies for not replying earlier, but I've only just read your comment.

The fireworks idea sounds a good one - good opportunity to use colour and maybe animation. As you've probably seen by now, I've posted what I submitted on the blog.

Regards, Neil.